Breathing Pattern Disorder
Catherine is a certified BradCliff practitioner, this is a physiotherapy-based programme developed by world renowned NZ physiotherapists Dinah Bradley and Tania Clifton-Smith aimed at helping those with breathing pattern disorders. This may be as a result of prolonged stress, anxiety, injury, anaemia, asthma or persistent (chronic) nasal problems. It can affect people of all ages & stages.
It is well documented that correction of faulty breathing can not only decrease use of asthma medications but also improve sports performance.
Some of the symptoms experienced by people with breathing difficulties are:
- Chest tightness/pain.
- Feeling tense/spaced out.
- Blurred vision.
- Dizzy spells.
- Feeling confused.
- Faster or deeper breathing.
- Frequent sighing and yawning.
- Disturbed sleep.
- Unable to breathe deeply.
- Erratic heartbeats.
- Feeling anxious.
- Tingling fingers.
- Upset gut/nausea/bloating.
- Tiredness and fatigue.
- Achey muscles and joints.
- Irritability or jumpiness.
- Feelings of ‘air hunger’.
- Stiff fingers/arms.
- Cold hands/feet.
They can be caused by:
- Asthma and other respiratory conditions.
- Long standing pain and postural stress.
- Sports training, involving transfer of large volumes of air.
- Occupations that involve lots of speaking (eg lecturers/singers).
- Persistent nasal problems, mouth rather than nose breathers.
Assessment/treatment here will initially take an hour which will allow patients to leave with some practise advice for improved breathing techniques & is often accompanied by recommendations for lifestyle modifications.
Depending on level of function/sports specific requirement inspiratory muscle strength can be assessed & powerbreathe device instruction given. This is a device that has been proven to improve breathing muscle strength in as little as 4 weeks & is used increasingly in sports, exercise, performing arts, health & medical environments.
If in doubt, breathe out.